Yarn Along (June)

Two of my favourite things are knitting and reading and I love sharing my projects and current reads here. I would love for you to join me each month and share what you are knitting (or crocheting) and reading too! - Ginny Sheller


I've been hand winding skeins of wool for the rather long-winded blanket I have been working on for my little darling of a nephew. I had imagined gifting it to him for his first birthday, but that deadline went whooshing past recently. Still, I have almost finished the second colour and this delightful yellow will be the next, and middle block, of colour in the toddler bed sized blanket.

I've just finished reading 'Strawberry Girl' with the children, which they thoroughly enjoyed. Most nights we snuggle into my bed at 7.30pm and read for 45 minutes before bed. Sometimes we get carried away by the story and read for longer. Other times sleep overcomes them and books are put aside. Our next read aloud is 'A Wrinkle In Time.' Both of which came highly recommended by several lists of books to read aloud to children.

Meanwhile, I have been reading 'A Wood of One's Own' and dreaming of buying a plot of land within driving distance of our home to call our own for weekend escapes and bush rambling. It really is but a dream, as hubby doesn't have the same interest and such a plot is not in the budget. But a girl can dream. Meanwhile, I will make do with Ruth Pavey's descriptions of her own woodland in Somerset, England.

I've also been reading 'The Well Trained Mind - A Guide to a Classical Education at Home'. I found it as rigorous as it purported to be, and so compelling as a lover of academics and classic books. I was carried away with the thought of using this method to teach my brilliant children who would speak Latin, ready Shakespeare and avidly read the books I chose for them. However, it eventually dawned on me that this is the kind of education I wished I had had and not the education that my children are currently interested in. Still, I am inspired to further my learning and they are always welcome to join in with me on that journey in their own unschooling way!

I bought another book today, 'The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart' by Holly Ringland, and I can't wait to get started. I was ready to part with my money as soon as I read in the blurb on the back cover, 'In the Victorian tradition, every flower has a meaning and, as she settles into her new life, Alice uses this language of native flowers to say things that are too hard to speak.'

Here's to making more time for knitting and reading. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment